An empty university classroom with rows of desks and chairs.

Hearing loss: in higher education

The Equality Act 2010 not only applies to workplaces, but it applies to education as well. This means higher education colleges and universities all have disability support staff to help ensure your education is on par with your non-disabled peers. It also means reasonable adjustments should be made—just like in the workplace. (For more information on adjustments in the workplace, visit our Hearing loss: at work section.)

However, unlike the workplace, there are Disability Officers available to support you during your higher education quest. You may also be entitled to a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA), which is based on need and not income. To find out if you are eligible, go to the DSA portion of GOV.UK.

If you don’t qualify for DSA, the college where you are studying should provide what you need. Contact your Disability Officer to find out more.

To find out more about disability and higher education, please visit the Students with disability section of The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) website.

Listen to this page: