An en-suite accessible bathroom.

Physical disabilities: at home

First things first. If you are thinking about making physical changes to your home to help make things a little easier, it might be beneficial to book in an assessment with an Occupational Therapist (OT). Ask your GP, nurse or member of your social services team to make the initial referral.

What can an OT do?

Your OT will explore all aspects of your life and suggest making changes to your physical environment or the way in which you complete a task to make day to day living more manageable.

Remember, your disability might entitle you to state funded practical support from social care services. For more information on OT, visit the NHS Choices site and go to the Occupational therapy section. To learn a little more about the important work of an OT, you can download helpful information from the British Association of Occupational Therapists and College of Occupational Therapists (BAOT/COT). The BAOT/COT also has a place on its site to help you find an OT

What other home accessories are available?

Alternatively, if you would rather explore equipment available online, here is a list of trusted resources. From specialised cooking equipment to aids assisting with getting dressed in the morning or larger items such as kitchen furniture and fittings, here are our go-to websites:

Disability Living Foundation’s Living Made Easy provides what it says on the tin—"Clear, practical advice on daily living equipment".

Ask Sara provides a personalised report with advice on relevant products that best suit your needs. The service also lets you borrow simple aids for two weeks to see if they work for you. 

Find local advice in the Local advice overview from Scope.

How to find the help you need at home, from Age UK.

Disabled Living, a charity that provides information about equipment and services.

Essential aids, in partnership with the Stroke Association.

Manage @ home, an online Medequip retail store.

Listen to this page: